[openstack-dev] Garbage patches for simple typo fixes

Jeremy Freudberg jeremyfreudberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 05:19:56 UTC 2017

Thanks for being brave enough to say it publicly. Not sure how many
more times I can stomach reading such classic patches as "Optimize the
link address" or "Replace six.iteritems() with .items()".

Yes, it is still possible for us to be an open community while also
minimizing the amount of useless patches.

Messages like the sample Matt provided are part of the solution.
Resisting the urge to -2/force-abandon without explanation is part of
the solution, too. But they aren't the whole solution.

The TC's emerging Top 5 help-wanted list is a step in the right
direction towards solving this problem. Let's publicize the crap out
of that. And we can go further, with project-specific help wanted
lists. And how about a better way to identify and promote issues which
are both low-hanging fruit AND important (they aren't actually that
rare!).

Turning towards more radical solutions: 1) Bake something into
git-review which will print out some agreed-up community guidelines
for what constitutes a useful patch, as well as any
repository-specific guidelines. To keep it reasonable, only show the
message the first time a contributor submits to that repository. 2)
Register fingerprints of common unhelpful patches and have a bot
similar to Elastic Recheck automatically review and comment. 3) Delay
spin-up of resource-intensive/long-running CI jobs until after some
initial review has been added or time has passed. Authorized
contributors, not necessarily synonymous with cores, can override the
delay if there's a critical patch which needs to get through the queue
quickly.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head, so feel free to tear me apart.

Looking forward to seeing where this conversation goes this time around.