[openstack-dev] [nova] [notification] cleaning up networking related notifications

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:27:11 UTC 2017

On 9/8/2017 5:52 AM, Balazs Gibizer wrote:
> The addFixedIp REST API was deprecated in Pike [1] (in microversion
> 2.44). As a result the legacy create_ip.start and create_ip.end
> notifications will not be emitted after microversion 2.44. We had a
> TODO[2] to transform this notification to the versioned format but now
> that seems a bit pointless. Also I've just found out that the existing
> POST os-interface REST API call does not emit any notification.
>
> I think it would make sense not to transform the legacy notification in
> a deprecated code path but instead emit a new instance.interface_attach
> and instance.interface_detach notifications from the POST os-interface
> REST API code path, preferably from compute.manager.attach_interface().
> Do you agree?

Yeah this makes sense to not transform the legacy deprecated paths but
add something for attach/detach.

> We also have TODOs about transforming floating_ip related
> notifications[2], e.g. network.floating_ip.allocate emitted from [3]. As
> far as I understand these notifications are only emitted from an already
> deprecated code path. Is it OK to remove them from our TODO list?

Yeah these are all deprecated so we don't need to transform them.

The allocate and deallocate floating IP paths are deprecated after 2.35:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/fbe6f77bc1cb41f5d6cfc24ece54d3413f997aab/nova/api/openstack/compute/floating_ips.py#L142

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/fbe6f77bc1cb41f5d6cfc24ece54d3413f997aab/nova/api/openstack/compute/floating_ips.py#L173

And associate/disassociate are deprecated after 2.43:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/fbe6f77bc1cb41f5d6cfc24ece54d3413f997aab/nova/api/openstack/compute/floating_ips.py#L213

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/fbe6f77bc1cb41f5d6cfc24ece54d3413f997aab/nova/api/openstack/compute/floating_ips.py#L294

Matt