[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, September 1st

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 1 09:29:43 UTC 2017

Hi!

This is the weekly update on Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of all open topics at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Allow teams to host meetings in their channels [1][2]
* PTL updates following the Queens elections [3][4]
* Amend leaderless program resolution timeframe [5]
* Docs URL updates [6]
* Pike goals updates: ironic
* New repositories: solum-tempest-plugin
* Retired repositories: oslo-incubator

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/485117/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/495886/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/493846/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/498363/
[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/492578/
[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/496321/

Mostly administrative updates this week, except the final approval of
the resolution allowing teams to host meetings in their own channels:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170718-allow-scheduling-meetings-on-team-channels.html

The irc-meetings framework should be updated to allow such meetings to
be scheduled.

== PTG prep ==

We'll have a TC / StewardshipWG room on Monday-Tuesday at the PTG. You
can chime in on topics we should cover there on the planning etherpad:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/queens-PTG-TC-SWG

== New project teams ==

We still have 4 new project teams applications up: Stackube, Glare,
Blazar and Gluon. We'll likely meet three of those teams during the PTG,
withe Glare and Blazar being likely to be approved really soon now.
However the Stackube folks are not likely to be present, so it would be
great to give that review some extra attention now, so that we can make
progress:

https://review.openstack.org/462460

== Open discussions ==

Chris and John both suggested additions to the Top-5 list:

Reduce Development Complexity: https://review.openstack.org/496404
Service layering: https://review.openstack.org/498719

The discussion so far mostly revolved around whether the top-5 list,
originally meant for highly-tactical TC shouts for help in struggling
areas, is the right medium for more strategic / long-term ideas. And if
not, what would be the right way to express that.

Monty's proposal to be explicit about supported database versions is
likely to need a new patchset to incorporate the early feedback:

https://review.openstack.org/493932

John's resolution on how decisions should be globally inclusive is still
mostly blocked, waiting to be converted into project-team-guide material:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460946/

== Voting in progress ==

Flavio's resolution on dropping Technical Committee meetings is still
missing a couple of votes before it can be approved:

https://review.openstack.org/459848

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

All members should review the PTG room etherpad and add any topic they
want to discuss in the room on Monday/Tuesday of the PTG.

Jeremy should find time to raise a discussion (and/or file a proposal)
around adding Infra to the Top-5 list.

Monty should answer the feedback on the supported database version
resolution so that we can make progress there.

All members should familiarize themselves with the new project teams
being proposed for addition and comment on their reviews (or prepare
questions for in-person discussions).

== Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==

No proposal is really blocked due to member disagreement at this stage,
most are caught in the post-release pre-PTG hiatus. With the PTG coming
up the week after, I don't think we need an in-person meeting next week.
We should definitely take advantage of the Office Hours[7] for
preparatory discussions as we prep for the Board+TC+UC+Staff meeting on
Sunday and the PTG week after, though.

[7] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/#office-hours

Cheers,

--