[openstack-dev] [ironic] Kernel parameters needed to boot from iscsi

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Oct 25 12:03:34 UTC 2017

(ooops, I somehow missed this email. sorry!)

Hi Yolanda,

On 10/16/2017 11:06 AM, Yolanda Robla Mota wrote:
> Hi
> Recently i've been helping some customers in the boot from ISCSI feature. So far
> everything was working, but we had a problem when booting the deployment image.
> It needed specifically a flag rd.iscsi.ibft=1 rd.iscsi.firmware=1 in the grub
> commands. But as the generated deployment image doesn't contain these flags,
> ISCSI was not booting properly. For other hardware setups, different flags may
> be needed.

Note that we only support BFV in the form of booting from a cinder volume
officially. We haven't looked into iBFV in depth.

> The solution was to manually execute a virt-customize on the deployment image to
> hardcode these parameters.
> I wonder if we can add some feature in Ironic to support it. We have discussed
> about kernel parameters several times. But at this time, it affects ISCSI
> booting. Not having a way in Ironic to customize these parameters forces to
> manual workarounds.

This has been discussed several times, and every time the idea of making it a
generic feature was rejected. There is an option to configure kernel parameters
for PXE boot. However, apparently, you cannot add rd.iscsi.firmware=1 if you
don't use iSCSI, it will fail to boot (Derek told me that, I did not check). If
your deployment only uses iSCSI - you can modify [pxe]pxe_append_params in your
ironic.conf to include it.

> So can we reconsider the proposal to add kernel parameters there? It could be a
> settable argument (driver_info/kernel_args), and then the IPA could set the
> parameters properly on the image. Or any other option is welcome.
> What are your thoughts there?

Well, we could probably do that *for IPA only*. Something like
driver_info/deploy_image_append_params. This is less controversial than doing
that for user instances, as we fully control the IPA boot. If you want to work
on it, let's start with a detailed RFE please.