[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Kolla] Concerns about containers images in DockerHub

Gabriele Cerami gcerami at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 01:38:33 UTC 2017

On 19 Oct, Sam Yaple wrote:
> docker_image wouldn't be the best place for that. Buf if you are looking
> for a quicker solution, kolla_docker was written specifically to be license
> compatible for openstack. its structure should make it easily adapted to
> delete an image. And you can copy it and cut it up thanks to the license.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

> Are you pushing images with no shared base layers at all (300MB compressed
> image is no shared base layers)? With shared base layers a full image set
> of Kolla images should be much smaller than the numbers you posted.

300MB is the rounded size of the size reported by the dockerhub UI
e.g https://hub.docker.com/r/tripleopike/centos-binary-heat-api/
shows 265MB for the newest tag. I'm not sure what size is dockerhub
reporting.

When pulling the image, docker downloads 30 layers. The final size
reported locally is 815MB.

Thanks