[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Proposal to provide volume-backed flavors

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 21:35:18 UTC 2017

We've talked about this since the Boston Forum and talked about it again
in Denver at the PTG. I finally got the spec written for a proposal to
provide volume-backed flavors in Nova:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511965/

It's a WIP right now because of a TODO in there about how the field
should actually be handled, if it's a boolean or an enum so operators
can tailor the functionality based on their needs.

I'm posting this here so I can get feedback on the spec. It also details
several of the past alternative attempts at doing something like this,
and hopefully captures the problems and use cases we're trying to
address for both end users and operators.

Nova spec freeze for Queens is less than a week away, on October 19th,
so any feedback I can get is appreciated, and the sooner the better
(says the guy that dumps this on you late on a Friday the week before
it's due).

Matt