[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Question for candidates: How do you think we can make our community more inclusive?

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Fri Oct 13 16:40:05 UTC 2017

On 13/10/17 13:45, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Some of you, TC candidates, expressed concerns about diversity and
> inclusiveness
> (or inclusivity, depending on your taste) in your candidacy. I believe
> this is a
> broad, and some times ill-used, topic so, I'd like to know, from y'all,
> how you
> think we could make our community more inclusive. What areas would you
> improve
> first?
>
> Thank you,
> Flavio
>
> --
> @flaper87
> Flavio Percoco

Honestly, short of the the (already in progress) work to help new
contributors getting on board I do not know what the best way is.

But - that is down to me matching the "stereotypical" software engineer
image people have - I did not have to work as hard to become part of the
community as the people we are trying to encourage to join us will have
to, and have had to already to get to a point where they want to join
us.

So - how could we make our community more inclusive?

Ask, and listen to the problems people joining us in the past have had.
Then use that information to find a solution.
Iterate, find the next problem.
Try to solve it.
Repeat.
Profit?

OK ^ is a bit glib. But, this is not something we are going to solve in
a cycle, or even a year - it will be a long term project, and someone
like me, speaking from a position of privilege, about how to fix it is
*not* how we should try to improve our situation.