[openstack-dev] [ptl][tc] Accessible upgrade support

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Oct 3 18:52:52 UTC 2017

I'm hoping this will get a little more attention.

We recently started discussing removing governance tags that did not have any
projects asserting them. I think this makes a lot of sense. Some tags were
defined apparently in the hope that it would get projects thinking about them
and wanting to either apply for the tag, or do the work to be able to meet the
requirements for that tag.

While this may have worked in some cases, we do have a few that are a little
unclear and not really getting much attention. We will likely clean up that
tag list a little, but there was some push back on at least one tag.

The supports-accessible-upgrade tag basically states that a service can be
upgraded without affecting access to the resources that the service manages
[1]. This actually fits with how at least Nova and Cinder work, so a patch is
now out there to assert this for those two projects [2].

I would bet there are several other projects out there that work in this same
way. Since we are looking between removing tags or using them (use it or lose
it), I would actually love to see more projects asserting this tag. If your
project manages a set of resources that are available even when your service
is down and/or being upgraded, please consider submitting a patch like [2] to
add your project to the list.

And just a general call out to raise awareness - please take a look through
the other defined tags and see if there are any others that are applicable to
your projects [3].

Thanks!

Sean (smcginnis)

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-accessible-upgrade.html