[openstack-dev] [all][release][neutron][horizon] Publishing server projects to PyPI

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Nov 17 20:25:31 UTC 2017

On 11/17/2017 10:51 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 2017-11-17 17:27, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> Hey everybody!
>>
>> tl;dr - We'd like to start publishing the server projects to PyPI
>>
>> Background
>> ==========
>>
>> The move to Zuul v3 has highlighted an odd situation we're in with some
>> of our projects, most notably neutron and horizon plugin projects.
>> Namely, those plugins need to depend on neutron and horizon, but we do
>> not publish neutron and horizon releases to PyPI.
>>
>> There are a couple of reasons why we haven't historically published
>> server projects. We were concerned that doing so would 'encourage'
>> installation of the services from pip. Also that, because it is pip and
>> not dpkg/rpm/emerge there's no chance that 'pip install nova' will
>> result in a functioning service. (It's worth noting that pip and PyPI in
>> general were in a much different state 6 years ago than today - thanks
>> dstufft for all the great work!)
>>
>> I think it's safe to say that the 'ship has sailed' on those two issues
>> ... which is to say we're already well past the point of return on
>> either issue. pip is used or not used by deployers as they see fit, and
>> I don't think 'pip install nova' not producing a working nova isn't
>> going to actually surprise anyone.
>>
>> Moving Forward
>> ==============
>>
>> Before we can do anything, we need to update some of the release
>> validation scripts to allow this (they currently double-check that we're
>> doing the right things with the right type of project):
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/521115/
>>
>> Once that's done, rather than doing a big-bang transition, the plan is
>> to move server projects from using the release-openstack-server template
>> to using the publish-to-pypi template as they are ready.
>>
>> This should simplify a great many things for horizon and neutron - and
>> allow us to get rid of the horizon and neutron specific jobs and
>> templates. There are a few gotchas we'll need to work through - notably
>> there is another project there already named "Keystone" - although it
>> seems not very used. I've reached out to the author to see if he's
>> willing to relinquish. If he's not, we'll have to get creative.
>
> One question on this: right now the dashboard and neutron plugins test
> against current git head. Wouldn't installing from pypi mean that they
> test against an older stable version?

Yes - by default - so we actually probably can't get rid of all of the
variants. However, the tox-siblings support in the tox jobs would allow
us to remove the zuul-cloner and other magic from the install_tox.sh
scripts in the repos and just let things work normally.

Incidentally, it would also allow for the plugin projects to decide if
they wanted to test against latest stable or master - or both.