[openstack-dev] [requirements] Do we care about pypy for clients (broken by cryptography)

Wang, Peter Xihong peter.xihong.wang at intel.com
Wed May 31 17:44:25 UTC 2017

Thanks John for the intro.

I believe cryptography is supported by pypy today.   Just did a "pip install cryptography" using an older version of pypy, pypy2-v5.6.0, with no error.  This package has been downloaded > 13 millions of times based on pypy package tracking site: http://packages.pypy.org/##cryptography.
I'd be interested in knowing the exact errors where it's failing, and help out.

As John said, we've observed 2x boost in throughput, and 78% reduction in latency from the proxy node in Swift lab setups.
We've also seen perf gain from Cinder, Keystone, Nova, Glance, Neutron, with most significant gains seen (22x) from Oslo.i18n from our lab setup running benchmarks such as Rally.

Switching from CPython to PyPy for OpenStack is not hard.  However, I found it really challenging to identify real world (customers) OpenStack examples where performance is hindered mainly on Python codes/or interpreter.

Thanks,

Peter