[openstack-dev] [requirements] Do we care about pypy for clients (broken by cryptography)

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed May 31 16:21:49 UTC 2017

On 31 May 2017, at 5:34, Monty Taylor wrote:

> On 05/31/2017 06:39 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 06:37:02AM -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>>> We had a discussion a few months back around what to do for cryptography
>>> since pycrypto is basically dead [1]. After some discussion, at least on
>>> the Cinder project, we decided the best way forward was to use the
>>> cryptography package instead, and work has been done to completely remove
>>> pycrypto usage.
>>>
>>> It all seemed like a good plan at the time.
>>>
>>> I now notice that for the python-cinderclient jobs, there is a pypy job
>>> (non-voting!) that is failing because the cryptography package is not
>>> supported with pypy.
>>>
>>> So this leaves us with two options I guess. Change the cryto library again,
>>> or drop support for pypy.
>>>
>>> I am not aware of anyone using pypy, and there are other valid working
>>> alternatives. I would much rather just drop support for it than redo our
>>> crypto functions again.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? I'm sure the Grand Champion of the Clients (Monty) probably has
>>> some input?
>
> There was work a few years ago to get pypy support going - but it never really seemed to catch on. The chance that we're going to start a new push and be successful at this point seems low at best.
>
> I'd argue that pypy is already not supported, so dropping the non-voting job doesn't seem like losing very much to me. Reworking cryptography libs again, otoh, seems like a lot of work.
>
> Monty

On the other hand, I've been working with Intel on getting PyPy support in Swift (it works, just need to reenable that gate job), and I know they were working on support in other projects. Summary is that for Swift, we got around 2x improvement (lower latency + higher throughput) by simply replacing CPython with PyPy. I believe similar gains in other projects were expected.

I've cc'd Peter from Intel who's been working on PyPy quite a bit. I know he'll be very interested in this discussion and will have valuable input.

--john