[openstack-dev] [TripleO] A proposal for hackathon to reduce deploy time of TripleO

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Thu May 25 09:19:06 UTC 2017

On 25.05.2017 0:08, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-05-24 16:27:18 -0500 (-0500), Ben Nemec wrote:
> [...]
>> I spent a _lot_ of time tracking down performance issues and
>> optimizing things where I could, and in the end pretty much every
>> gain I made was regressed somewhere else within a few weeks,
>> leaving us where we are now with jobs timing out all over the
>> place.
> [...]
>
> The uneasy truth (in many places, not just TripleO) is that if
> people only try to improve speed or memory footprint or what have
> you when jobs are constantly hitting those thresholds, then the
> gains will usually only be very temporary. I agree it has to be an
> all-the-time effort to work on minimization across these axes or
> else we'll end up with near constant job failures from them. Under
> development, software will (often rapidly) grow to fill the resource
> constraints placed around it. There's some sort of natural law at
> work there.

Great topic, and a huge effort #deployment-time! Thank you for raising
this. Few more inputs and random thoughts:
[0] - Lightening undercloud MAV to save Mark Watney once again
[1] - There is a strange nerdish joy with (never ending) adjusting of
tests matrix and chaining builds promotion pipelines.

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1693448
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1693435

--
Best regards,