[openstack-dev] [TripleO] A proposal for hackathon to reduce deploy time of TripleO

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 24 22:08:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-24 16:27:18 -0500 (-0500), Ben Nemec wrote:
[...]
> I spent a _lot_ of time tracking down performance issues and
> optimizing things where I could, and in the end pretty much every
> gain I made was regressed somewhere else within a few weeks,
> leaving us where we are now with jobs timing out all over the
> place.
[...]

The uneasy truth (in many places, not just TripleO) is that if
people only try to improve speed or memory footprint or what have
you when jobs are constantly hitting those thresholds, then the
gains will usually only be very temporary. I agree it has to be an
all-the-time effort to work on minimization across these axes or
else we'll end up with near constant job failures from them. Under
development, software will (often rapidly) grow to fill the resource
constraints placed around it. There's some sort of natural law at
work there.
--
Jeremy Stanley