[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Do we need a #openstack-tc IRC channel

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 16 21:13:05 UTC 2017

Sean Dague wrote:
> On 05/16/2017 03:59 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>> Here we have a clear topic, and TC members need to pay a certain level
>>> of attention to whatever is said. Mixing it with other community
>>> discussions (which I have to prioritize lower) just makes it harder to
>>> pay the right level of attention to the channel. Basically I have
>>> trouble to see how we can repurpose a general discussion channel into a
>>> specific group office-hours channel (different topics, different level
>>> of attention to be paid). Asking people to use a ping list when they
>>> *really* need to get TC members attention feels like a band-aid.
>>
>> To summarize, I fear that using a general development discussion channel
>> as the TC discussion channel will turn *every* development discussion
>> into a TC discussion. I don't think that's desirable.
>
> Maybe we have different ideas of what we expect to be the kinds of
> discussions and asks. What do you think would be in #openstack-tc that
> would not be appropriate for #openstack-dev, and why?

It's the other way around. There are (hopefully more and more)
discussions in #openstack-dev that are noise for anyone watching this
channel in "TC-office-hours mode" (like a TC member who needs to pay
attention to what is being said on that channel).

I prioritize channels based on the attention I need to pay to them. The
channel used for TC questions / office hours would be at the top of my
list, so I would rather avoid all the noise we can :)

Looking at recent logs from #openstack-dev, I can see it would be a bit
painful to sort out what is actionable TC stuff from what is long
general development discussions and random are-you-around pings.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)