[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue May 16 18:27:27 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Michał Jastrzębski's message of 2017-05-16 09:46:19 -0700:
> So another consideration. Do you think whole rule of "not building
> binares" should be reconsidered? We are kind of new use case here. We
> aren't distro but we are packagers (kind of). I don't think putting us
> on equal footing as Red Hat, Canonical or other companies is correct
> here.
>
> K8s is something we want to work with, and what we are discussing is
> central to how k8s is used. K8s community creates this culture of
> "organic packages" built by anyone, most of companies/projects already
> have semi-official container images and I think expectations on
> quality of these are well...none? You get what you're given and if you
> don't agree, there is always way to reproduce this yourself.
>
> [Another huge snip]

I wanted to have the discussion, but my position for now is that
we should continue as we have been and not change the policy.

I don't have a problem with any individual or group of individuals
publishing their own organic packages. The issue I have is with
making sure it is clear those *are* "organic" and not officially
supported by the broader community. One way to do that is to say
they need to be built somewhere other than on our shared infrastructure.
There may be other ways, though, so I'm looking for input on that.

Doug