[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue May 16 18:22:34 UTC 2017

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the discussion.

Over the time I've maintained openstack clouds, I've seen many times, integration issues pop up between distro packages and openstack packages. The released openstack packages are usually fine. Changes in the distros break kolla builds over time.

In the past Kolla's dealt with this by having users show up, say "the *stuff* doesn't build" and then someone on irc scrambles to figure out why it broke. This is not a good place to be in. We even suffer through it ourselves with the gates. An upstream releases something, everything breaks, and then we spend all our time debugging the same problem rather then some of us debugging that and the rest making forward progress.

So, we're starting to break up the gate jobs into periodic gates that test known good kolla stuff against newer upstream stuff to see if it works. if it does, it caches it for the regular gate tests for new patch sets. If it fails, then someone has time to look at it without the rest of the gates being broken. As part of this process we also produce known working, up to date, openstack stable release containers, since we need them for upgrade gate testing.

So, basically to have proper gates in kolla, we have to do all the work of building up to date stable/trunk containers that are tested with the gate suite of tests.

So, the real question is, can we go the last 2 feet and push them to the docker hub rather then doing it manually like we do today and they tend to rot there. There is a fair amount of benefit to some users and very little additional cost to openstack. I see very little reason not to.

We should still recommend users build it themselves. But for many use cases, such as testing the waters, an operator might just want the easiest way to see the thing work (pull updated containers from the hub), prove out that its worth doing it with Kolla, then either building their own containers for production, or better yet, paying a Distro for support.

We want to make it as easy as possible to try out OpenStack. This is one of the biggest/most reported problems with OpenStack. Saying, step 1, you must always build all the containers yourself is not a part of solving that problem.

Thanks,
Kevin