[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue May 16 13:22:46 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2017-05-16 14:08:07 +0200:
> Flavio Percoco wrote:
> > From a release perspective, as Doug mentioned, we've avoided releasing projects
> > in any kind of built form. This was also one of the concerns I raised when
> > working on the proposal to support other programming languages. The problem of
> > releasing built images goes beyond the infrastructure requirements. It's the
> > message and the guarantees implied with the built product itself that are the
> > concern here. And I tend to agree with Doug that this might be a problem for us
> > as a community. Unfortunately, putting your name, Michal, as contact point is
> > not enough. Kolla is not the only project producing container images and we need
> > to be consistent in the way we release these images.
> >
> > Nothing prevents people for building their own images and uploading them to
> > dockerhub. Having this as part of the OpenStack's pipeline is a problem.
>
> I totally subscribe to the concerns around publishing binaries (under
> any form), and the expectations in terms of security maintenance that it
> would set on the publisher. At the same time, we need to have images
> available, for convenience and testing. So what is the best way to
> achieve that without setting strong security maintenance expectations
> for the OpenStack community ? We have several options:
>
> 1/ Have third-parties publish images
> It is the current situation. The issue is that the Kolla team (and
> likely others) would rather automate the process and use OpenStack
> infrastructure for it.
>
> 2/ Have third-parties publish images, but through OpenStack infra
> This would allow to automate the process, but it would be a bit weird to
> use common infra resources to publish in a private repo.
>
> 3/ Publish transient (per-commit or daily) images
> A "daily build" (especially if you replace it every day) would set
> relatively-limited expectations in terms of maintenance. It would end up
> picking up security updates in upstream layers, even if not immediately.
>
> 4/ Publish images and own them
> Staff release / VMT / stable team in a way that lets us properly own
> those images and publish them officially.
>
> Personally I think (4) is not realistic. I think we could make (3) work,
> and I prefer it to (2). If all else fails, we should keep (1).

At the forum we talked about putting test images on a "private"
repository hosted on openstack.org somewhere. I think that's option
3 from your list?

Paul may be able to shed more light on the details of the technology
(maybe it's just an Apache-served repo, rather than a full blown
instance of Docker's service, for example).

Doug