[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Do we need a #openstack-tc IRC channel

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue May 16 18:02:57 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-16 09:38:34 -0400 (-0400), Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> See $TITLE :)

Trying not to rehash other points, I'm in favor of using
#openstack-dev for now until we see it's not working out. Creating a
new channel for this purpose before we've even undertaken the
experiment seems like a social form of premature optimization.

If the concern is that it's hard to get the attention of (I hate to
say "ping" since contextlessly highlighting people in channel to
find out whether they're around is especially annoying to me at
least) members of the OpenStack Technical Committee, the Infra
team's root sysadmins already solved this issue by all configuring
their clients to highliht on a specific keyword (in that case,
"infra-root" mentioned in channel gets the attention of most of our
rooters these days). Something like "tc-members" can be used to
address a question specifically to those on the TC who happen to be
around and paying attention and also gives people looking at the
logs a useful string to grep/search/whatever. I've gone ahead and
configured my client to highlight on that now.

As for losing context when a discussion transfers from informal
temperature taking, brainstorming and bikeshedding in IRC to a less
synchronous thread on the ML, simply making sure to include a URL to
the point in the channel log where the discussion began ought to be
sufficient (and should be encouraged _regardless_ of which channel
that was).
--
Jeremy Stanley