[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Do we need a #openstack-tc IRC channel

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 16 17:12:16 UTC 2017

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Michał Jastrzębski <inc007 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 May 2017 at 08:32, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Sean McGinnis's message of 2017-05-16 10:17:35 -0500:

>>> I definitely understand this desire. I think, though, that any
>>> significant conversations should be made discoverable via an email
>>> thread summarizing them. That honors the spirit of moving our
>>> "decision making" to asynchronous communication tools.

I also prefer we opt for an #openstack-tc channel. A channel is defined
by the topic of its discussions, and #openstack-dev is a catch-all, a
default channel. Reusing it for topical discussions will force everyone
to filter through random discussions in order to get to the
really-TC-related ones. Yes, it's not used much. But that isn't a good
reason to recycle it.

>> To both this and Dims's concerns, I actually think we need some place
>> to just come and ask "guys, is this fine?". If answer would be "let's
>> talk on ML because it's important", that's cool, but on the other hand
>> sometimes simple "yes" would suffice. Not all conversations with TC
>> requires mailing thread, but I'd love to have some "semi-official" TC
>> space where I can drop question, quickly discuss cross-project issues
>> and such.
>
> Michal,
>
> Let's try using the ping list on #openstack-dev channel:
> cdent dhellmann dims dtroyer emilienm flaper87 fungi johnthetubaguy
> mordred sdague smcginnis stevemar ttx
>
> The IRC nicks are here:
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/#current-members

If you need a ping list to reuse the default channel as a TC "office
hours" channel, that kind of proves that a dedicated channel would be
more appropriate :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)