[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Do we need a #openstack-tc IRC channel

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Tue May 16 16:28:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Michał Jastrzębski <inc007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2017 at 08:32, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Sean McGinnis's message of 2017-05-16 10:17:35 -0500:

>>> My preference would be to have an #openstack-tc channel.
>>>
>>> One thing I like about the dedicated meeting time was if I was not able to
>>> attend, or when I was just a casual observer, it was easy to catch up on
>>> what was discussed because it was all in one place and did not have any
>>> non TC conversations interlaced.
>>>
>>> If we just use -dev, there is a high chance there will be a lot of cross-
>>> talk during discussions. There would also be a lot of effort to grep
>>> through the full day of activity to find things relevant to TC
>>> discussions. If we have a dedicated channel for this, it makes it very
>>> easy for anyone to know where to go to get a clean, easy to read capture
>>> of all relevant discussions. I think that will be important with the
>>> lack of a captured and summarized meeting to look at.
>>>
>>> Sean
>>>

>> I definitely understand this desire. I think, though, that any
>> significant conversations should be made discoverable via an email
>> thread summarizing them. That honors the spirit of moving our
>> "decision making" to asynchronous communication tools.
>
> To both this and Dims's concerns, I actually think we need some place
> to just come and ask "guys, is this fine?". If answer would be "let's
> talk on ML because it's important", that's cool, but on the other hand
> sometimes simple "yes" would suffice. Not all conversations with TC
> requires mailing thread, but I'd love to have some "semi-official" TC
> space where I can drop question, quickly discuss cross-project issues
> and such.

Michal,

Let's try using the ping list on #openstack-dev channel:
cdent dhellmann dims dtroyer emilienm flaper87 fungi johnthetubaguy
mordred sdague smcginnis stevemar ttx

The IRC nicks are here:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/#current-members

Looks like the foundation page needs refreshing, will ping folks about it.
https://www.openstack.org/foundation/tech-committee/

Thanks,
Dims