[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 16:51:00 UTC 2017

On 16 May 2017 at 09:40, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Michał Jastrzębski's message of 2017-05-15 10:52:12 -0700:
>> > Container images introduce some extra complexity, over the basic
>> > operating system style packages mentioned above. Due to the way
>> > they are constructed, they are likely to include content we don't
>> > produce ourselves (either in the form of base layers or via including
>> > build tools or other things needed when assembling the full image).
>> > That extra content means there would need to be more tracking of
>> > upstream issues (bugs, CVEs, etc.) to ensure the images are updated
>> > as needed.
>>
>> We can do this by building daily, which was the plan in fact. If we
>> build every day you have at most 24hrs old packages, CVEs and things
>> like that on non-openstack packages are still maintained by distro
>> maintainers.
>>

> What's at stake isn't so much "how do we get the bits to the users" but
> "how do we only get bits to users that they need". If you build and push
> daily, do you expect all of your users to also _pull_ daily? Redeploy
> all their containers? How do you detect that there's new CVE-fixing
> stuff in a daily build?
>
> This is really the realm of distributors that have full-time security
> teams tracking issues and providing support to paying customers.
>
> So I think this is a fine idea, however, it needs to include a commitment
> for a full-time paid security team who weighs in on every change to
> the manifest. Otherwise we're just lobbing time bombs into our users'
> data-centers.

One thing I struggle with is...well...how does *not having* built
containers help with that? If your company have full time security
team, they can check our containers prior to deployment. If your
company doesn't, then building locally will be subject to same risks
as downloading from dockerhub. Difference is, dockerhub containers
were tested in our CI to extend that our CI allows. No matter whether
or not you have your own security team, local CI, staging env, that
will be just a little bit of testing on top of that which you get for
free, and I think that's value enough for users to push for this.