[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue May 16 16:40:19 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Michał Jastrzębski's message of 2017-05-15 10:52:12 -0700:
> > Container images introduce some extra complexity, over the basic
> > operating system style packages mentioned above. Due to the way
> > they are constructed, they are likely to include content we don't
> > produce ourselves (either in the form of base layers or via including
> > build tools or other things needed when assembling the full image).
> > That extra content means there would need to be more tracking of
> > upstream issues (bugs, CVEs, etc.) to ensure the images are updated
> > as needed.
>
> We can do this by building daily, which was the plan in fact. If we
> build every day you have at most 24hrs old packages, CVEs and things
> like that on non-openstack packages are still maintained by distro
> maintainers.

What's at stake isn't so much "how do we get the bits to the users" but
"how do we only get bits to users that they need". If you build and push
daily, do you expect all of your users to also _pull_ daily? Redeploy
all their containers? How do you detect that there's new CVE-fixing
stuff in a daily build?

This is really the realm of distributors that have full-time security
teams tracking issues and providing support to paying customers.

So I think this is a fine idea, however, it needs to include a commitment
for a full-time paid security team who weighs in on every change to
the manifest. Otherwise we're just lobbing time bombs into our users'
data-centers.