[openstack-dev] [releases] Stable branch conflicting information

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Sun May 7 11:30:56 UTC 2017

So I noticed today that the release information [0] for Newton appears to have
the wrong date for when Newton transitions to the Legacy Phase. According to
this conversation [1], I think (thought?) we established that rolling over to
each support phase would stay on a 6 month cycle, despite Ocata being a shorter
development cycle.

I am not talking about EOL here, just the transition periods for stable
branches to move to the next phase.

Based on this, the Next Phase for Newton appears to be wrong because it is on
a 6 month period from the Ocata release, not based on Newton's actual release
date.

I was going to put up a patch to fix this, but then got myself really confused
because I couldn't actually reconcile the dates based on how the rest of the
phase information is listed there. Going off of what we state in our Stable
Branch phases [2], we are not following what we have published there.

Based on that information, Mitaka should still be in the Legacy phase, and
not actually EOL'd for another 6 months. (Well, technically that actual EOL
date isn't called out in the documentation, so I'm just assuming another 6
months)

So I'm not proposing we un-EOL Mitaka or change any of our policy. I'm just
pointing out that the information we have in [2] does not appear to be what
we are actually following according to [0], so we should change one or the
other to be consistent. Our EOL dates on the releases page are actually the
dates they should transition to Phase III according to our Stable Branch
"Support Phases" section as it is right now.

Sean

[0] https://releases.openstack.org/
[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-February/111910.html
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#support-phases