[openstack-dev] [FaaS] Function as a service in OpenStack

Dmitri Zimine dzimine at stackstorm.com
Sat May 6 19:50:25 UTC 2017

 Hi all,

please let me re-surface the discussion,
and propose StackStorm as [a starting point for] a Serverless framework for
OpenStack.

StackStorm [0] is an open source event-driven automation platform, built
around Mistral and adds “before” and “after” - (triggers on events, and
rules that maps triggers to actions) and after (easy to add actions with
auto-generated API) [1].
It is built for devops automation and often used to automate OpenStack [2].
Recently, we saw it used as a DIY serverless framework, as it has the parts
of Serverless stack discussed here: “Lambda”, API Gateway, event sources
(not just timers and web hooks but any other events as triggers), and
workflows/Step Functions with Mistral - as workflows become recognizable
part of serverless.

Comparing with OpenWhisk, StackStorm brings the same concepts and
functionality, but does it on OpenStack technology stack: Python, RabbitMQ,
Pecan, eventlets, Oslo config & utils, and a fair amount of same 3rd party
dependencies.

StackStorm is mature (3 years old), heavily used (~3,000 installations /
month), have rich set of existing integrations [3]. StackStorm team has
been a part of OpenStack community and Mistral contributors from the outset.

I hate that this is coming out as a plug, but I’d hate it even more if
there is a match, and we miss it.
Let’s decide on merits. The detailed discussion takes more writing…

How about we use the Boston summit to open the conversation? Here is what
we can do:

1) My talk “Serverless on OpenStack with StackStorm and Mistral” Wed May10
9am can serve as an introduction: https://goo.gl/2ZUJFK

2) Let’s make time at the summit with those who’re interested AND in
Boston, do in-depth technical, architecture, and merits discussion, and
share the findings here.

3) If the community believes the idea worth further consideration, we take
it from there.

If you’re interested to participate, reply here and/or contact me directly.

[0] StackStorm: https://github.com/StackStorm/st2

[1] Slides from OpenStack Barcelona where I explained the relations between
Mistral and StackStorm to Mistral community.
https://www.slideshare.net/DmitriZimine/mistral-and-stackstorm

[2] E.g. Cybera, or Symantec:
     -
https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/sleep-better-at-night-openstack-cloud-auto-healing