[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri May 5 20:40:10 UTC 2017

On 5/5/2017 3:23 PM, Octave J. Orgeron wrote:
> From a vendors perspective, it's incredibly difficult to keep up with
> the releases because once you get your automation tooling and any extra
> value-added components integrated with a release, it's more than likely
> already behind or EOL. Plus there won't be enough soak time with
> customers to adopt it! Not only that, but by the time you make something
> work for customers, there is a very high chance that the upstream
> version of those components will have changed enough that you'll have to
> either patch, re-architect, or slash and burn what you've already
> delivered to your customers. Not to mention it maybe impossible to
> upgrade your customers in a seamless or automated fashion. This is why
> customers will stick to an older release because the upgrade path is too
> painful.

If you're spending exorbitant amounts of time patching in your forks to
keep up with the upstream code, then you're doing the wrong thing.
Upstream your changes, or work against the APIs, or try to get the APIs
you need upstream to build on for your downstream features. Otherwise
this is all just burden you've put on yourself and I can't justify an
LTS support model because it might make someone's downstream fork
strategy easier to manage. As noted earlier, I don't see Oracle
developers leading the way upstream. If you want to see major changes,
then contribute those resources, get involved and make a lasting effect.

Matt