[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri May 5 21:02:25 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
> "If we had an LTS branch and a solid governance model" - The way to
> make it happen is for everyone to show up in the Stable team, do the
> work that is need to define/setup etc..
>
> Who is up for it? Please show up in the next weekly meeting and get
> active in the work needed to take care of the current stable work and
> the work needed to setup a LTS.

Thank you dims, this gets said every time we have this conversation,
and at best new interest wanes after a month, at worst nothing
changes.

I'm going to adopt sdague's stance here and ask for specifics.  Octave
(quoted in dims' first line above) suggests LTS + governance is the
solution.  Make specific proposals that include actionable tasks.
Include a clear problem statement so we know _which_ problem is being
solved.

The number one task for LTS is dims' suggestion above, show up next
week.   Number two is to sustain the level of interest that will be
expressed next week for 6 months and prove that there are resources
available and fully trained and operable before Newton is EOL.

I can't judge if starting next week is soon enough to extend Netwon's
EOL date, but starting in August most certainly is too late. (Newton
is our first realistic opportunity based on the LTS status of the
current testing configurations.)

Oh, and the number zero task is to make sure our stable team PTL can
stay for the party.

dt

--

Dean Troyer