[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri May 5 19:09:17 UTC 2017

On 5/5/2017 9:30 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> I would encourage folks here to help the stable branches we have right
>> now! Release/Requirements constantly wait on Stable team and Stable
>> team is way short of hands.
>>
>> Please join #openstack-stable, throw your name in wiki etc
>> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Stable_Branch)
>> and get active.
>>
>> If we have trouble taking care of what we have now, how can we do more?
>
> Shameless plug:
>
> For those in Boston next week, you can join the following on-boarding
> session on Monday afternoon, to see what this work really means. It's
> not as hard or time-consuming as you'd think:
>
> https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/events/18694/infraqarelease-mgmtregsstable-project-onboarding

If you want to be extra lazy on a sunny Friday, watch a video:

https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/openstack-stable-what-it-actually-means-to-maintain-stable-branches

I also ran a cross-project session at the Newton summit about the
concept of extending the life of the oldest stable branch:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stable-branch-eol-policy-newton

I even made slides!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1k0mCHwRZ3_Z8zJw_WilsuTYYqnUDlY2PkgVJLz_xVQc/edit?usp=sharing

In the end it was determined that the cost of doing this didn't justify
the drain on, or lack of, resources to do this, particularly on the
infra team to be supporting older distro versions once they were past LTS.

Matt