[openstack-dev] [telemetry] Moving Gnocchi out

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:57:17 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
Reply: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Date: March 20, 2017 at 11:39:38
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [telemetry] Moving Gnocchi out

> On 03/20/2017 10:10 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >
> >> I really don't understand why the Telemetry team insists in being
> >> release-independent, out of big tent and such, when the reality is that
> >> all of released Telemetry components are *very tightly* bound to a
> >> specific versions of OpenStack. IMO, it doesn't make sense upstream, or
> >> downstream of Telemetry.
> >
> > This simply isn't the case with gnocchi. Gnocchi is an independent
> > timeseries, metrics and resources data service that _happens_ to
> > work with OpenStack.
> >
> > By making it independent of OpenStack, its ability to draw
> > contribution and engagement from people outside the OpenStack
> > community increases. As a result it can become a better tool for
> > more people, including OpenStack people. Not all, or even many, of
> > the OpenStack projects are like that, but gnocchi is. More eyes,
> > less bugs, right?
>
> I'm curious why being independent of OpenStack would make it more attractive.
>
> Is the perception that requiring people to sign the Contributor Agreement is
> holding back external contribution? Or is it just that the mere idea of it
> being an OpenStack project is discouraging people from getting involved?
>
> Just as an example, if I want to get involved with libvirt because I have an
> itch to scratch the fact that it's basically a RedHat project isn't going to
> turn me off...

Contributing to OpenStack is intimidating, if not utterly
discouraging, to people unfamiliar with CLAs and Gerrit. There's a lot
of process that goes into contributing. Moving this to a friendlier
(if not inferior) developer platform makes sense if there is interest
from companies not interested in participating in the OpenStack
community.

--
Ian Cordasco