[openstack-dev] [ptls] Project On-Boarding Rooms

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 16 17:00:33 UTC 2017

Sean Dague wrote:
> On 03/16/2017 05:31 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Kendall Nelson wrote:
>>> We have a very limited slots available for interested projects so it
>>> will be a first come first served process. Let me know if you are
>>> interested and I will reserve a slot for you if there are spots left.
>>
>> I think we could share a 90-min slot between a number of the supporting
>> teams:
>>
>> Infrastructure, QA, Release Management, Requirements, Stable maint
>>
>> Those teams are all under-staffed and wanting to grow new members, but
>> 90 min is both too long and too short for them. I feel like regrouping
>> them in a single slot and give each of those teams ~15 min to explain
>> what they do, their process and tooling, and a pointer to next steps /
>> mentors would be immensely useful.
>
> If we are going to call these onboarding rooms, I think it's important
> that the teams doing these get a full 90 minutes and actually dive deep
> into something concrete that people could contribute to.
>
> Splitting a 90 minute slot over 5 teams to have each give a lightning
> talk that they exist isn't really onboarding. And doesn't really take
> advantage of the format of having people there in the room.

Sure... the trick is we don't have so many rooms (and don't want to run
too many in parallel and have them compete with each other that much).
And on the other hand, fungi was not having any Infra on-boarding
because 90min was too small to do any serious on-boarding anyway.

So rather than not have any presence from cross-project teams at all
(and then complain that nobody joins cross-project teams), I felt like
having a "strategic contributions" catch-all session would be better
than nothing. Let each team present what their day-to-day work looks
like, and give 'next' pointers to people interested. I expect some teams
in that catch-all to skip the session anyway, so it will probably be
more like 20/30min per team -- not really a "lightning talk".

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)