[openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Mar 16 10:48:57 UTC 2017

On 03/16/2017 05:12 AM, Rochelle Grober wrote:
> Sorry for top posting, but this is likely the best place...
>
> I wanted to provide an update from the Ops midcycle about related topics around this.
>
> The operators here are in general agreement that translation is not needed, but they are also very interested in the possibility of getting some of their long time wish list items for traceability and specificity into the log messages at the same time as the translation bits are removed.  There is an effort and a team of devops working on defining more specifically exactly what the operators want in the messages and providing personpower to do a good chunk of the work.
>
> We hope to have some solid proposals written up for the forum so as to be able to move forward and partner with the project developers on this.
> We expect two proposals, one for error codes (yes, that again, but operators really want/need this) and traceability around request-ids.

Just to be clear, the delete of the existing markup is going to be
completely independent of of any markup. Deleting the i18n wrappers is
super mechanical, and can go under very fast and bulk review.

Guidelines for better tracing are great, work to contribute that in even
better, but that's something that's a lot more work, and different work.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net