[openstack-dev] [oslo][requirements][all] requesting assistance to unblock SQLAlchemy 1.1 from requirements

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Mar 15 09:32:51 UTC 2017

Mike Bayer wrote:
> As mentioned previously, SQLAlchemy 1.1 has now been released for about
> six months.   My work now is on SQLAlchemy 1.2 which should hopefully
> see initial releases in late spring.    SQLAlchemy 1.1 includes tons of
> features, bugfixes, and improvements, and in particular the most recent
> versions contain some critical performance improvements focused around
> the "joined eager loading" feature, most typically encountered when an
> application makes many, many queries for small, single-row result sets
> with lots of joined eager loading.   In other words, exactly the kinds
> of queries that Openstack applications do a lot; the fixes here were
> identified as a direct result of Neutron query profiling by myself and a
> few other contributors.
>
> For many weeks now, various patches to attempt to bump requirements for
> SQLAlchemy 1.1 have been languishing with little interest, and I do not
> have enough knowledge of the requirements system to get exactly the
> correct patch that will accomplish the goal (nor do others).  The
> current gerrit is at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/423192/, where you
> can see that not just me, but a bunch of folks, have no idea what
> incantations we need to put here that will make this happen.  Tony
> Breeds has chimed in thusly:
>
>> To get this in we'll need to remove the cap in global-requirements
> *and* at the same time add a heap of entries to
> upper-constratints-xfails.txt. this will allow us to merge the cap
> removal and keep the constraint in the 1.0 family while we wait for the
> requirements sync to propagate out.
>
> I'm not readily familiar with what goes into upper-constraints-xfails
> and this file does not appear to be documented in common places like
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Requirements or
> https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/README.rst .
>
> I'm asking on the list here for some assistance in moving this forward.
> SQLAlchemy development these days is closely attuned to the needs of
> Openstack now, a series of Openstack test suites are part of
> SQLAlchemy's own CI servers to ensure backwards compatibility with all
> changes, and 1.2 will have even more features that are directly
> consumable by oslo.db (features everyone will want, I promise you).
> Being able to bump requirements across Openstack so that new versions
> can be tested and integrated in a timely manner would be very helpful.

It sounds like a transition that the requirements team should directly
help with (since it's tricky). Would be a shame to pass on the
performance improvements just because the process to work around the cap
is dark magic. I would help but it's the first time I hear of that
xfails file, so I'm probably not current enough :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)