[openstack-dev] [oslo][requirements][all] requesting assistance to unblock SQLAlchemy 1.1 from requirements

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 19:06:20 UTC 2017

Hello all -

As mentioned previously, SQLAlchemy 1.1 has now been released for about
six months.   My work now is on SQLAlchemy 1.2 which should hopefully
see initial releases in late spring.    SQLAlchemy 1.1 includes tons of
features, bugfixes, and improvements, and in particular the most recent
versions contain some critical performance improvements focused around
the "joined eager loading" feature, most typically encountered when an
application makes many, many queries for small, single-row result sets
with lots of joined eager loading.   In other words, exactly the kinds
of queries that Openstack applications do a lot; the fixes here were
identified as a direct result of Neutron query profiling by myself and a
few other contributors.

For many weeks now, various patches to attempt to bump requirements for
SQLAlchemy 1.1 have been languishing with little interest, and I do not
have enough knowledge of the requirements system to get exactly the
correct patch that will accomplish the goal (nor do others).  The
current gerrit is at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/423192/, where you
can see that not just me, but a bunch of folks, have no idea what
incantations we need to put here that will make this happen.  Tony
Breeds has chimed in thusly:

> To get this in we'll need to remove the cap in global-requirements
*and* at the same time add a heap of entries to
upper-constratints-xfails.txt. this will allow us to merge the cap
removal and keep the constraint in the 1.0 family while we wait for the
requirements sync to propagate out.

I'm not readily familiar with what goes into upper-constraints-xfails
and this file does not appear to be documented in common places like
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Requirements or
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/README.rst .

I'm asking on the list here for some assistance in moving this forward.
SQLAlchemy development these days is closely attuned to the needs of
Openstack now, a series of Openstack test suites are part of
SQLAlchemy's own CI servers to ensure backwards compatibility with all
changes, and 1.2 will have even more features that are directly
consumable by oslo.db (features everyone will want, I promise you).
Being able to bump requirements across Openstack so that new versions
can be tested and integrated in a timely manner would be very helpful.

Thanks for reading!