[openstack-dev] [Horizon][searchlight] Sharing resource type implementations

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 04:22:35 UTC 2017

Hi Searchlight and Horizon folks,

I'd like to re-use the wonderful resource type code from
searchlight-ui (in particular os-nova-servers right now but
potentially others down the track) and was wondering whether you'd had
any thoughts about how we might share that code? Off the top of my
head I see a few options:

1. We depend on the searchlight-ui as a Horizon requirement; this is
pretty unlikely to happen (depending on any optional panel means it's
not really optional any longer ;-)
2. We copy the code from searchlight-ui into Horizon; this is pretty terrible.
3. We move the code from searchlight-ui into a separate project that
both Horizon and searchlight-ui depend upon; this could be made to
work, though it's Yet Another Project.
4. We move the code from searchlight-ui into Horizon. I think this is
most likely to work.

What are your thoughts? Have I missed an option in this list that you
think is a better one? Have I missed the mark in my analysis of the
options I've presented?

      Richard