[openstack-dev] [nova] Freeze dates for Pike

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Fri Mar 3 09:26:53 UTC 2017

Le 02/03/2017 23:46, Matt Riedemann a écrit :
> I mentioned this in the nova meeting today [1] but wanted to post to the
> ML for feedback.
>
> We didn't talk about spec or feature freeze dates at the PTG. The Pike
> release schedule is [2].
>
> Spec freeze
> -----------
>
> In Newton and Ocata we had spec freeze on the first milestone.
>
> I'm proposing that we do the same thing for Pike. The first milestone
> for Pike is April 13th which gives us about 6 weeks to go through the
> specs we're going to approve. A rough look at the open specs in Gerrit
> shows we have about 125 proposed and some of those are going to be
> re-approvals from previous releases. We already have 16 blueprints
> approved for Pike. Keep in mind that in Newton we had ~100 approved
> blueprints by the freeze and completed or partially completed 64.

I agree with you, letting more time for accepting more specs means less
time for merging more spec implementations.

That still leaves 6 weeks for accepting around 80 specs, which seems to
me enough.

> Feature freeze
> --------------
>
> In Newton we had a non-priority feature freeze between n-1 and n-2. In
> Ocata we just had the feature freeze at o-3 for everything because of
> the short schedule.
>
> We have fewer core reviewers so I personally don't want to cut off the
> majority of blueprints too early in the cycle so I'm proposing that we
> do like in Ocata and just follow the feature freeze on the p-3 milestone
> which is July 27th.
>
> We will still have priority review items for the release and when push
> comes to shove those will get priority over other review items, but I
> don't think it's helpful to cut off non-priority blueprints before n-3.
> I thought there was a fair amount of non-priority blueprint code that
> landed in Ocata when we didn't cut it off early. Referring back to the
> Ocata blueprint burndown [3] most everything was completed between the
> 2nd milestone and feature freeze.

Looks good to me too. Proposing and advertising one review sprint day
(or even two days) around pike-2 could also help us, because we could
have this kind of 'runway' between proposers and reviewers.

If so, after pike-2, we could just see how many blueprints are left for
the last milestone which could help us having a better vision on what we
could realistically feature for Pike.

My .02€
-Sylvain