[openstack-dev] [nova] Freeze dates for Pike

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:46:56 UTC 2017

I mentioned this in the nova meeting today [1] but wanted to post to the
ML for feedback.

We didn't talk about spec or feature freeze dates at the PTG. The Pike
release schedule is [2].

Spec freeze
-----------

In Newton and Ocata we had spec freeze on the first milestone.

I'm proposing that we do the same thing for Pike. The first milestone
for Pike is April 13th which gives us about 6 weeks to go through the
specs we're going to approve. A rough look at the open specs in Gerrit
shows we have about 125 proposed and some of those are going to be
re-approvals from previous releases. We already have 16 blueprints
approved for Pike. Keep in mind that in Newton we had ~100 approved
blueprints by the freeze and completed or partially completed 64.

Feature freeze
--------------

In Newton we had a non-priority feature freeze between n-1 and n-2. In
Ocata we just had the feature freeze at o-3 for everything because of
the short schedule.

We have fewer core reviewers so I personally don't want to cut off the
majority of blueprints too early in the cycle so I'm proposing that we
do like in Ocata and just follow the feature freeze on the p-3 milestone
which is July 27th.

We will still have priority review items for the release and when push
comes to shove those will get priority over other review items, but I
don't think it's helpful to cut off non-priority blueprints before n-3.
I thought there was a fair amount of non-priority blueprint code that
landed in Ocata when we didn't cut it off early. Referring back to the
Ocata blueprint burndown [3] most everything was completed between the
2nd milestone and feature freeze.

--

Does anyone have an issue with this plan? If not, I'll update [4] with
the nova-specific dates.

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2017/nova.2017-03-02-21.00.log.html#l-119
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Pike_Release_Schedule