[openstack-dev] [all][stable][ptls] Tagging mitaka as EOL

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 29 12:57:00 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-29 11:28:10 +1000 (+1000), Tony Breeds wrote:
[...]
> In the meantime we could look at adding permissions such that the Stable
> PTL (Well actually I guess eventually it'd be the same bot that does the
> release tagging) can push tags and abandon changes on all projects.
>
> Right now stable-maint-core can do that in a lot of projects but the
> coverage isn't complete.

Sure, we just need to set it in the global configuration instead of
on a per-project basis.

> That would allow us to make forward progress and reduce the task for the
> infra team to deleting the branches.  It does of course introduce a
> race where I could tag a branch as EOL and then that project merge
> another change.  Can you think of a way to avoid that?

Not a convenient one anyway... we could probably merge (hundreds of)
ACL changes preventing approvals on that branch for the projects
participating in the EOL process, but that's probably worse than
accepting that there might be a patch or two created, reviewed and
landed on some project between the EOL tag and branch deletion. The
additional changes that merge after the tag won't effectively be
reachable once the branch is gone anyway (you could hunt them down
in Gerrit, but there's no longer a branch in Git containing them an
they're not in the history of any tag at that point). It's probably
neither common nor disruptive enough to be worth our concern.
--
Jeremy Stanley