[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:48:58 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> 2- it lets us host things that are not openstack but which we work on
> (like abandoned Python libraries or GPL-licensed things) in a familiar
> environment

Do we no longer think openstack hosted infra holds a competitive advantage
for teams that are trying to efficiently collaborate building software in
service of the mission?

If we do, why would we agree on a plan that basically tells teams that are
trying to "get stuff done" to go work it out on github and travis ci or
whatever?  Maybe worse, what happens when a team/project/community grows up
around *one* workflow (not because it's better; but just because the
OpenStack workflow is exclusionary) but then it sees it's
operators/deployers/users adoption swelling around OpenStack and wants to
"join"?  Is adopting the hosted infrastructure later... optional?

If we do NOT think hosting on openstack-infra offers competitive advantage
for teams that are trying to efficiently collaborate building software in
service of the mission ... why heck not?!

-Clay