[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Move away from meeting channels

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 28 14:02:30 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-28 11:41:50 +0200 (+0200), Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 27/06/17 18:22 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> >By lurking in official meeting channels I'm often able to jump
> >straight into a discussion when someone asks me a question in a
> >meeting I wouldn't normally attend but am around during. I can see
> >the discussion instantly up to that point as opposed to
> >inconveniencing the attendees by asking to have everything repeated
> >for me after /join'ing. The channel logs on eavesdrop.o.o aren't
> >really a substitute there because of the batched flushing in the bot
> >delays Web-based logs by some number of minutes.
>
> Would recommend folks pinging you (and others) on openstack-dev be
> enough? You can then momentarily join the channel and they can
> bring you up to speed, although it is not as convinient as just
> being there.

It will be a viable (if less convenient) workaround, sure. Most
often it comes up like:

    [protracted discussion of problem over several minutes time]
    <participant_A> we probably need to do [solution X]
    <participant_B> how do we go about accomplishing [solution X]?
    [long pause]
    <participant_C> maybe fungi knows... hey, fungi: you around?

If this were taking place on a less common channel I don't lurk in
(granted I've taken to lurking in lots of individual projects'
channels for similar reasons), then once they got me to /join they'd
have the pleasure of spending several minutes repeating themselves
to catch me up before I could answer.

> I'd also like to encourage folks to reach out on the ML if people
> don't happen to be around on IRC.

Yes, this I agree with. Contrary to popular belief, I am sometimes
briefly unconscious. However, people often forget or never get
around to doing that, so I'm happy when I can help more immediately
(or at least spot it in scrollback when my wetware comes out of
standby, and follow up with them at that time if it seems
important).

Anyway, I don't think we need to propose "moving away from meeting
channels" but rather "allowing teams to not use meeting channels if
it's inconvenient for them." I expect many (most even?) teams who
continue to hold regularly scheduled meetings would do so in the
official meeting channels even if given the opportunity and freedom
to use a different channel.
--
Jeremy Stanley