[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Move away from meeting channels

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 09:41:50 UTC 2017

On 27/06/17 18:22 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>On 2017-06-26 15:27:21 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > Not being able to easily ping someone during a meeting is kind
>> > of a bummer but I'd argue that assuming someone is in the
>> > meeting channel and available at all times is a mistake to begin
>> > with.
>>
>> I think people can be pinged by PM or on #openstack-dev, it's just an
>> habit to take. It's just that there are cases  where people passively
>> mention you, without going up to a formal ping -- I usually go back
>> later to that person to answer the issue they informally raised. We'll
>> lose that, but it's minor enough.
>[...]
>
>By lurking in official meeting channels I'm often able to jump
>straight into a discussion when someone asks me a question in a
>meeting I wouldn't normally attend but am around during. I can see
>the discussion instantly up to that point as opposed to
>inconveniencing the attendees by asking to have everything repeated
>for me after /join'ing. The channel logs on eavesdrop.o.o aren't
>really a substitute there because of the batched flushing in the bot
>delays Web-based logs by some number of minutes.

Would recommend folks pinging you (and others) on openstack-dev be enough? You
can then momentarily join the channel and they can bring you up to speed,
although it is not as convinient as just being there.

I'd also like to encourage folks to reach out on the ML if people don't happen
to be around on IRC.

Flavio

--
@flaper87