[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Move away from meeting channels

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Jun 26 08:37:58 UTC 2017

Hey Y'all,

Not so long ago there was a discussion about how we manage our meeting channels
and whether there's need for more or fewer of them[0]. Good points were made in
that thread in favor of keeping the existing model but some things have changed,
hence this new thread.

More teams - including the Technical Committee[1] - have started to adopt office
hours as a way to provide support and have synchronous discussion. Some of these
teams have also discontinued their IRC meetings or moved to an ad-hoc meetings
model.

As these changes start popping up in the community, we need to have a good way
to track the office hours for each team and allow for teams to meet at the time
they prefer. Before we go deep into the discussion again, I'd like to summarize
what has been discussed in the past (thanks ttx for the summary):

The main objections to just letting people meet anywhere are:
	- how do we ensure the channel is logged/accessible
	- we won't catch random mentions of our name as easily anymore
	- might create a pile-up of meetings at peak times rather than force them to
    spread around
	- increases silo effect

Main benefits being:
	- No more scheduling nightmare
	- More flexibility in listing things in the calendar

Some of the problems above can be solved programmatically - cross-check on
eavesdrop to make sure logging is enabled, for example. The problems that I'm
more worried about are the social ones, because they'll require a change in the
way we interact among us.

Not being able to easily ping someone during a meeting is kind of a bummer but
I'd argue that assuming someone is in the meeting channel and available at all
times is a mistake to begin with.

There will be conflicts on meeting times. There will be slots that will be used
by several teams as these slots are convinient for cross-timezone interaction.
We can check this and highlight the various conflicts but I'd argue we
shouldn't. We already have some overlaps in the current structure.

The social drawbacks related to this change can be overcome by interacting more
on te mailing list. Ideally, this change should help raising awareness about the
distributed nature of our community, encourage folks to do more office hours,
fewer meetings and, more importantly, to encourage folks to favor the mailing
list over IRC conversations for *some* discussions.

So, should we let teams to host IRC meetings in their own channels? Thoughts?

Flavio

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-December/108360.html
[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/#office-hours

--