[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Wed Jun 21 18:52:11 UTC 2017

Several folks on this thread have talked about the different constituencies and problems we’re trying to solve with naming. Most of the people following this thread understand all of the terminology and governance we’ve defined, but that's still a very small percentage of people who care about OpenStack at the end of the day. I think we’re trying to communicate to the 99% who have relatively low context: potential users, people in other open source communities, managers at vendor companies, press/analysts, etc. who really want to know what we’re doing, but feel overwhelmed and need a simple structure interpret it.

Two things we should address:

1) Make it more clear which projects are “officially” part of OpenStack. It’s possible to find that information, but it’s not obvious. I am one of the people who laments the demise of stackforge…it was very clear that stackforge projects were not official, but part of the OpenStack ecosystem. I wish it could be resurrected, but I know that’s impractical.

To make this actionable...Github is just a mirror of our repositories, but for better or worse it's the way most people in the world explore software. If you look at OpenStack on Github now, it’s impossible to tell which projects are official. Maybe we could help by better curating the Github projects (pinning some of the top projects, using the new new topics feature to put tags like openstack-official or openstack-unofficial, coming up with more standard descriptions or naming, etc.). Same goes for our repos…if there’s a way we could differentiate between official and unofficial projects on this page it would be really useful: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/

2) Create a simple structure within the official set of projects to provide focus and a place to get started. The challenge (again to our success, and lots of great work by the community) is that even the official project set is too big for most people to follow.

While I fully admit it was an imperfect system, the three tier delineation of “integrated," “incubated" and “stackforge" was something folks could follow pretty easily. The tagging and mapping is valuable and provides additional detail, but having the three clear buckets is ideal.  I would like to see us adopt a similar system, even if the names change (i.e. core infrastructure services, optional services, stackforge). Happy to throw out ideas if there is interest.

Thanks,
Lauren