[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Wed Jun 21 16:42:24 UTC 2017

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> wrote:

>>> Why not bring back the name Stackforge and apply that
>>> to unofficial projects? It’s short, descriptive, and unambiguous.
>>
>> Just keep in mind that people always looked at stackforge projects as
>> "immature
>> experimental projects". I remember getting questions "when is
>> ironic-inspector
>> going to become a real project" because of our stackforge prefix back
>> then, even
>> though it was already used in production.
>
> A few days ago I suggested a variant of Thierry's suggestion below. Get
> rid of the 'openstack' prefix entirely for hosting and use stackforge
> for everything. Then officially governed OpenStack projects are hosted
> just like any other project within infra under the stackforge (or Opium)
> name. The problem with the current "flat" namespace is that OpenStack
> means something specific and we have overloaded it for hosting. But we
> could flip that upside down and host OpenStack within a different flat
> namespace that represented "project hosting using OpenStack infra
> tooling”.

I dunno. I understand that it’s extra work to have two namespaces,
but it sends a clear message. Approved TC, UC, and Board projects
remain under openstack, and unofficial move to a name that is not
openstack (i.e. stackforge/opium/etc).

As part of a branding exercise, it creates a clear, easy to
understand, and explain division.

For names like stackforge being considered a pejorative, we can
work as a community against that. I know that when I was helping run
the puppet modules under stackforge, I was proud of the work and
understood it to mean that it was a community supported, but not
official project. I was pretty sad when stackforge went away, precisely
because of the confusion we’re experiencing with ‘big tent’ today.