[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Jun 21 07:44:45 UTC 2017

On 21/06/17 06:18 +0000, joehuang wrote:
>hello, Flavio,

Hi :D

>This thread is to discuss moving away from the "big tent" term, not removing some project.
>Removing a project will make this flavor disappear from the ice-cream counter, but this thread,
>it's to use another concept to describe projects under openstack project governance.
>If we don't want to use "big tent" for those projects staying in the counter,
>I hope all projects could be treated in flat, just like different flavor ice-creams are flat in the
>same counter, kid can make choice by themselves.
>
>Even Nova may be only "core"  to some cloud operators, but not always for all cloud operators,
>for example, those who only run object storage service, hyper.sh also not use Nova,  some day may
>some cloud operators only use Zun or K8S instead for computing, it should not be an issue
>to OpenStack community.

I think you misunderstood my message. I'm not talking about removing projects,
I'm talking about the staging of these projects to join the "Big tent" -
regardless of how we call it. The distinction *is* important and we ought to
find a way to preserve it and communicate it so that there's the least amount of
confusion possible.

>OpenStack should be "OPEN" stack for infrastructure, just like kid can choose how many
>balls of ice-cream, cloud operators can make decision to choose which project to use or
>not to manage his infrastructure.

You keep mentioning "OPEN stack" as if we weren't being open (enough?) and I
think I'm failing to see why you think that. Could you please elaborate more?
What you're describing seems to be the current status.

Flavio