[openstack-dev] [all][qa][glance] some recent tempest problems

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jun 16 15:01:33 UTC 2017

On 06/16/2017 10:46 AM, Eric Harney wrote:
> On 06/16/2017 10:21 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>>
>> I don't think merging tests that are showing failures, then blacklisting
>> them, is the right approach. And as Eric points out, this isn't
>> necessarily just a failure with Ceph. There is a legitimate logical
>> issue with what this particular test is doing.
>>
>> But in general, to get back to some of the earlier points, I don't think
>> we should be merging tests with known breakages until those breakages
>> can be first addressed.
>>

> As another example, this was the last round of this, in May:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/332670/
>
> which is a new tempest test for a Cinder API that is not supported by
> all drivers.  The Ceph job failed on the tempest patch, correctly, the
> test was merged, then the Ceph jobs broke:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1687538
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/461625/
>
> This is really not a sustainable model.
>
> And this is the _easy_ case, since Ceph jobs run in OpenStack infra and
> are easily visible and trackable.  I'm not sure what the impact is on
> Cinder third-party CI for other drivers.

Ah, so the issue is that
gate-tempest-dsvm-full-ceph-plugin-src-glance_store-ubuntu-xenial is
Voting, because when the regex was made to stop ceph jobs from voting
(which they aren't on Nova, Tempest, Glance, or Cinder), it wasn't
applied there.

It's also a question about why a library is doing different back end
testing through full stack testing, instead of more targeted and
controlled behavior. Which I think is probably also less than ideal.

Both would be good things to fix.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague