[openstack-dev] [tc] Status update, Jun 16

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 16 09:17:30 UTC 2017

Hi!

Back on regular schedule, here is an update on the status of a number
of TC-proposed governance changes, in an attempt to rely less on a
weekly meeting to convey that information.

You can find the full status list of open topics at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Follow-up precisions on office hours [1]
* New git repositories: fuxi-golang
* Updated links to Vitrage developer documentation
* Pike goal responses for freezer, cloudkitty

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/470926/

== Open discussions ==

A new draft was produced for the TC vision, taking into account some of
the feedback we received on the initial draft. Please review:

* Begin integrating vision feedback and editing for style [1]

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/473620/

A new, hopefully more consensual revision of the database support
resolution was posted by Dirk. Please review it at:

* Declare plainly the current state of PostgreSQL in OpenStack [2]

[2] https://review.openstack.org/427880

A new item was proposed for addition on our top-5 wanted list: Glance
contributors. Please review and comment at:

* Add "Glance Contributors" to top-5 wanted list [3]

[3] https://review.openstack.org/474604

We did not have that many comments on John Garbutt's revised resolution
on ensuring that decisions are globally inclusive. Please see:

* Decisions should be globally inclusive [4]

[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460946/

The discussion on Queens goals is a bit stalled, as Gerrit is not the
ideal tool to select x picks out of n proposals. I think a dedicated IRC
meeting could help us sort through the proposals and propose a set (see
below). In the mean time, please review:

* Discovery alignment, with two options: [5] [6]
* Policy and docs in code [7]
* Migrate off paste [8]
* Continuing Python 3.5+ Support​ [9]

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468436/
[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468437/
[7] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469954/
[8] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117747.html
[9] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117746.html

A proposal to remove "meritocracy" from the Four opens details was
posted by cdent. Please review at:

* Remove "meritocracy" from the opens [10]

[10] https://review.openstack.org/473510

Finally, a number of tag additions are still being discussed, so you
might want to give your opinion on them:

* assert:supports-rolling-upgrade for keystone [11]
* assert:supports-upgrade to Barbican [12]
* stable:follows-policy for Kolla [13]

[11] https://review.openstack.org/471427
[12] https://review.openstack.org/472547
[13] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/346455/

== Voting in progress ==

The Top 5 help wanted list (and the "doc owners" initial item) almost
have the votes necessary to merge. Please vote at:

* Introduce Top 5 help wanted list [14]
* Add "Doc owners" to top-5 wanted list [15]

[14] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466684/
[15] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469115/

The new "assert:supports-api-interoperability" tag also seems to have
broad support and be ready for merging. Please vote at:

* Introduce assert:supports-api-interoperability [16]

[16] https://review.openstack.org/418010

Finally, Doug's guidelines for managing releases of binary artifacts is
also missing a couple of votes to be approved:

* Guidelines for managing releases of binary artifacts [17]

[17] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469265/

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

johnthetubaguy to finalize updating "Describe what upstream support
means" with a new revision [https://review.openstack.org/440601]

flaper87 to update "Drop Technical Committee meetings" with a new
revision [https://review.openstack.org/459848]

Additionally, we are still looking for a volunteer TC member
sponsor/mentor to helm the Gluon team navigate the OpenStack seas as
they engage to become an official project. Any volunteer ?

== Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==

In order to make progress on the Pike goal selection, I think a
dedicated IRC meeting will be necessary. We have a set of valid goals
proposed already: we need to decide how many we should have, and which
ones. Gerrit is not great to have that ranking discussion, so I think we
should meet to come up with a set, and propose it on the mailing-list
for discussion. We could use the regular meeting slot on Tuesday,
20:00utc. How does that sound ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)