[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 24

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Jun 13 19:49:42 UTC 2017

No meeting this week, but some motion on a variety of proposals and
other changes. As usual, this document doesn't report on everything
going on with the Technical Committee. Instead it tries to focus on
those thing which I subjectively believe may have impact on
community members.

I will be taking some time off between now and the first week of
July so there won't be another of these until July 11th unless
someone else chooses to do one.

# New Things

No recently merged changes in policy, plans, or behavior. The office
hours announced in [last
weeks's](https://anticdent.org/tc-report-23.html) report are
happening and the associated IRC channel, `#openstack-tc` is gaining
members and increased chatter.

# Pending Stuff

## Queens Community Goals

Progress continues on the discussion surrounding community goals for
the Queens cycle. There are enough well defined goals that we'll
have to pick from amongst the several that are available to narrow
it down. I would guess that at some point in the not too distant future
there will be some kind of aggregated presentation to help us all
decide. I would guess that since I just said that, it will likely be me.

## Managing Binary Artifacts

With the addition of a requirement to include architecture in the
metadata associated with the artifact the [Guidelines for managing
releases of binary artifacts](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469265/)
appears to be close to making everyone happy. This change will be
especially useful for those projects that want to produce containers.

## PostgreSQL

There was some difference of opinion on the next steps on
documenting the state of PostgreSQL, but just in the last couple of
hours today we seem to have reached some agreement to do only those
things on which everyone agrees. [Last
week's](https://anticdent.org/tc-report-23.html) report has a
summary of the discussion that was held in a meeting that week. Dirk
Mueller has taken on the probably not entirely pleasant task of
consolidating the feedback. His latest work can be found at [Declare
plainly the current state of PostgreSQL in
OpenStack](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427880/). The briefest
of summaries of the difference of opinion is that for a while the
title of that review had "MySQL" where "PostgreSQL" is currently.

## Integrating Feedback on the 2019 TC Vision

The agreed next step on the [Draft technical committee vision for
public feedback](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/453262/) has been
to create a version which integrates the most unambiguous feedback
and edits the content to have more consistent tense, structure and
style. That's now in progress at [Begin integrating vision feedback
and editing for style](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/473620/).
The new version includes a few TODO markers for adding things like a
preamble that explains what's going on. As the document evolves
we'll be simultaneously discussing the ambiguous feedback and
determining what we can use and how that should change the document.

## Top 5 Help Wanted List

The vision document mentions a top ten hit list that will be used in
2019 to help orient contributors to stuff that matters. Here in 2017
the plan is to start smaller with a top 5 list of areas where new
individuals and organizations can make contributions that will have
immediate impact. The hope is that by having a concrete and highly
visible list of stuff that matters people will be encouraged to
participate in the most productive ways available. [Introduce Top 5
help wanted list](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466684/) provides
the framework for the concept. Once that framework merges anyone is
empowered to propose an item for the list. That's the best part.

--
Chris Dent                  ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)       https://anticdent.org/