[openstack-dev] [all][tc][glance] Glance needs help, it's getting critical

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 12 13:13:46 UTC 2017

On 06/09/2017 01:07 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> (sorry if duplicate, having troubles with email)
>
> Hi Team,
>
> I've been working a bit with the Glance team and trying to help where I
> can and
> I can't but be worried about the critical status of the Glance team.
> Unfortunately, the number of participants in the Glance team has been
> reduced a
> lot resulting in the project not being able to keep up with the goals, the
> reviews required, etc.[0]
>
> I've always said that Glance is one of those critical projects that not many
> people notice until it breaks. It's in every OpenStack cloud sitting in
> a corner
> and allowing for VMs to be booted. So, before things get even worse, I'd
> like us to brainstorm a bit on what solutions/options we have now.
>
> I know Glance is not the only project "suffering" from lack of
> contributors but
> I don't want us to get to the point where there won't be contributors left.
>
> How do people feel about adding Glance to the list of "help wanted" areas of
> interest?
>
> Would it be possible to get help w/ reviews from folks from teams like
> nova/cinder/keystone? Any help is welcomed, of course, but I'm trying to
> think
> about teams that may be familiar with the Glance code/api already.

I'm happy to help here, I just went through and poked at a few things.
It is going to be tough to make meaningful contributions there without
approve authority, especially given the normal trust building exercise
for core teams takes 3+ months. It might be useful to figure out if
there are a set of folks already in the community that the existing core
team would be happy to provisionally promote to help worth the current
patch backlog and get things flowing.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague