[openstack-dev] [qa][requirements][all] removing global pins for linters

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Sun Jun 11 15:30:24 UTC 2017

The recent thread about updating the pylint version in
global-requirements.txt raised an issue because it was trying to
update the pylint version for all projects using it, but some teams
were not ready for the new tests in the latest version. I thought
we had dealt with that kind of case in the past by treating linter
projects like pylint and flake8 as special cases, and leaving them
out of the global requirements list. The requirements repo has a
separate file (blacklist.txt) for projects that should not be synced
into repositories and tested against the global-requirements.txt
list, and pylint is included there along with several other linter
tools.

I'm not sure why the linters were also being added to
global-requirements.txt, but it seems like a mistake. I have proposed
a patch [2] to remove them, which should allow projects that want
to update pylint to do so while not forcing everyone to update at
the same time. If we find issues with the requirements sync after
removing the entries from the global list, we should fix the syncing
scripts so we can keep the linters blacklisted.

Doug

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118085.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/473094