[openstack-dev] [all] Call for check: is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 18:53:34 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Is your project ready for pylint 1.7.1?
If you use pylint in your pep8 job, it is worth checked.

Our current version of pylint is 1.4.5 but it is not safe in python 3.5.
The global-requirements update was merged once [1],
However, some projects (at least neutron) are not ready for pylint
1.7.1 and it was reverted [2].
it is reasonable to give individual projects time to cope with pylint 1.7.1.

I believe bumping pylint version to 1.7.1 (or later) is the right
direction in long term.
I would suggest to make your project ready for pylint 1.7.1 soon (two
weeks or some?)
You can disable new rules in pylint 1.7.1 temporarily and clean up
your code later
as neutron does [3]. As far as I checked, most rules are reasonable
and worth enabled.

Thanks,
Akihiro Motoki

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/470800/