[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Install Kubernetes in the overcloud using TripleO

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 10:00:02 UTC 2017

On 08.06.2017 18:36, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> Hey y'all,
>
> Just wanted to give an updated on the work around tripleo+kubernetes.
> This is
> still far in the future but as we move tripleo to containers using
> docker-cmd,
> we're also working on the final goal, which is to have it run these
> containers
> on kubernetes.
>
> One of the first steps is to have TripleO install Kubernetes in the
> overcloud
> nodes and I've moved forward with this work:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471759/
>
> The patch depends on the `ceph-ansible` work and it uses the
> mistral-ansible
> action to deploy kubernetes by leveraging kargo. As it is, the patch
> doesn't
> quite work as it requires some files to be in some places (ssh keys) and a
> couple of other things. None of these "things" are blockers as in they
> can be
> solved by just sending some patches here and there.
>
> I thought I'd send this out as an update and to request some early
> feedback on
> the direction of this patch. The patch, of course, works in my local
> environment
> ;)

Kudos for using Kargo [0], an incubated Kubernetes project (installers'
docs home page [1]) that needs more love and adoption by OpenStack and
perhaps OpenShift communities. Flavio, I'd love to join the research and
start contributing into this effort as soon as possible.

Even though the adoption of COEs for managing OpenStack clouds looks in
distant future, one thing that concerns me now, is *early* consolidation
of design decisions. And as well upstream development approaches of the
teams working on installing Kubernetes in the overcloud, by TripleO with
heat templates vs OpenShift on OpenStack by providers backed with
ansible & shade. Like in these examples [2], where heat templates do
only provisioning, and [3], where os-stack [4] is used instead.

And it seems that heat templates will be replaced soon for provisioning
*and* software deployment/configuration tasks, which seems the current
development trend.

[0] https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/kargo/
[1] https://kubernetes.io/docs/home/
[2] https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-contrib/pull/397